Home Page

Kashi Sons and Company, Chandauli is undertaking the work of Azolla Amrit by spreading the benefits of Azolla among farmers, milk men, poultry owners, rice farmers, cattle growers etc. so that they can yield high productivity by planting Azolla Nursery nearby. This will surely increase their production such as milk production, healthy cattle (goats, ducks, hens etc.) yield & thereby getting maximum profits from their business.

Azolla Fodder Plot Information By NABARD

Advantages of Azolla
1. It easily grows in wild and can grow under controlled condition also.
2. It increase the milk production in cows, buffaloes, goats etc. and also helps to improve the health in chickens, hens, ducks etc..
3. It also removes the mosquitoes nearby it grows, rice fields etc.
4. It can easily be produced in large quantity required as green manure in both the seasons –
Kharif and Rabi.
5. It can fix atmospheric CO2 and nitrogen to form carbohydrates and ammonia respectively
and after decomposition it adds available nitrogen for crop uptake and organic carbon
content to the soil.
6. The oxygen released due to oxygenic photosynthesis, helps the respiration of root system
of the crops as well as other soil microorganisms.
7. It solubulises Zn, Fe and Mn and make them available to the rice.
8. Azolla suppresses tender weeds such as Chara and Nitella in a paddy field.
9. Azolla releases plant growth regulators and vitamins which enhance the growth of the
rice plant.
9. Azolla can be a substitute for chemical nitrogenous fertilizers to a certain extent (20
kg/ha) and it increases the crop yield and quality.
10. It increases the utilisation efficiency of chemical fertilizers.
11. It reduces evaporation rate from the irrigated rice field.

Azolla: green manure profile


· Azolla is a small aquatic fern (usually 1-5 cm large) which can also grow on saturated or moist soils. It is capable of doubling its weight in 3-5 days.

· A blue-green alga (Anabaena azollae) lives in the cavities of Azolla leaves and fixes nitrogen from the atmosphere. The daily nitrogen-fixing rate of the Azolla-algae complex is 3-7 kg N/ha.

Azolla contains 4% nitrogen on a dry-weight basis (dry weight is 5% of fresh weight); 0.5-0.9% phosphorous; and 24.5% potassium.

· Azolla is not really new. It has been used as a green manure for rice in Northern Vietnam and Southern China as early as the 11th century. Use of Azolla is an Asian, indigenous technology.


· Azolla is an excellent source of nitrogen fertilizer for rice which can cut down or even eliminate the use of chemicals. It can increase yield equivalent to that produced by 30-60 kg. nitrogen (N) fertilizer/ha. Residual soil N is increased. Protein content of the grain is also increased.

· Azolla increases available potassium (K) by absorbing water- soluble K from the irrigation water and returning it into the soil upon incorporation.

· The large amount of biomass produced (10-15 tons/ha/incorporation) increases soil organic matter (OM) content dramatically, improving soil physical structure and increasing phosphorous availability.

· The OM from Azolla also contains micronutrients.


Under optimum conditions, a 15 kg inoculum can multiply to become 10-15 tons

· Ideally, Azolla multiplication must be initiated 1 month before transplanting.

· Under optimum conditions, a 15 kg inoculum can multiply to become 10-15 tons of biomass in 100 days. (When incorporated, this should provide 3045 kg N/ha). About half of the total N is available in 3 weeks and 80% in 6 weeks.

· Incorporate the Azolla into the soil before transplanting. Subsequent incorporations can be timed with the regular weeding operations.

· At any time, only 75% of the Azolla is turned under. The remaining 25% is allowed to multiply again for the following incorporation.


· Azolla is a fern, thus water is the most critical requirement for its survival. The water situation in which Azolla can grow ranges from nearly saturated soils to deep standing waters.

· The soil should have at least 30 ppm phosphorous. If soil test indicates a lower level, apply 16-200 or 0-18-0 at kg/ha/wk.

· Optimum temperature is 25°C or less. Temperatures above 30°C can cause slow growth rate and insect problems.

· Conduct site suitability test to determine the Azolla species or strains most tolerant to local constrainsts.


· An optimum Azolla cover between the rice plants reduces weed growth by 50% or more.
· Azolla can be a good compost material.